This late mailbag, submitted by C. Danziger, is made easier to answer by the fact that his prime question has been answered since he sent me it. Here is the said question:
"Bro-
What chances do the sox have at picking up Crawford or Lee. Explain who the sox will land"
Well, we kind of know these answers by now, eh' Danziger? Yes, I'm sorry for my dereliction of duty, but now that I've finally gotten around to it, I barely have a job to do. So, I guess what I would have said at the time is that the Red Sox have a decent chance at getting Crawford. At the time, I thought that they were second in line to get him, probably behind the Rangers. I had the same thoughts for Derek Jeter. For Cliff Lee, I thought we had barely any chance to get him and now it seems obvious that I was right. I mean, I thought that the Red Sox might have gone and gotten him in the same manner as they did Crawford, but I thought the chances were low and barely worth talking about. Plus, the Red Sox starting rotation was certainly too crowded to accommodate him. Now that he's signed with the Phillies (the Phillies, mlb.com, and mlbtraderumors.com officially announced that today) we have no chance of getting him; his career will probably be close to done by the time his Philly contract expires. If the Sox pick him up then, (I know I'm getting off track, but let me finish my thought!) it would be Bret Saberhagen all over again; the veteran pitcher pickup part, not the bad performance part. So my explanation of who the Sox would land at that time (I assume who they would land out of that group) is basically that the Red Sox need Crawford, have room for him, and that Cliff Lee is a Yankee and out of reach and there is not room for him.
Thanks again for a great mailbag entry Danziger.
Keep them coming people, I can be reached at hbreault13@fessenden.org.
Cheers!
No comments:
Post a Comment