I was at Lars Anderson's MLB debut this fall, a very nice September night when the Red Sox crushed the Rays, weighing them down with 10 Lester strikeouts, a Ryan Kalish Grand-Slam, and a bit of Robert Colleo, which I frankly wasn't happy about. Lars went 0 for 4, ESPN tells me that he struck out twice. It was less than impressive. I did scream out at him "YEAH LARS ANDERSON" since he was a prospect that I knew of debuting. I wanted him to get a rocket, but he didn't, and all was well when I went home. Now, nearing the beginning of 2011, with Adrian Gonzalez on the Depth Chart and looking to sign an extension, Youkilis moving along to third, and the future seemingly clogged, it's looking like he may not have a future in Boston. The point to examine: Is he a trade chip?
The first important part of this discussion is David Ortiz. How much longer can the heroic Big Papi play? He is only on the Sox for one more year, and unless he is extended at some point, he's gone from Fenway in 2012. With Gonzalez hopefully about to sign an extension, first base is clogged. Assuming Ortiz leaves next year or in 2 or 3 years, then could Anderson be a DH? His hitting is very nice. Soxprospects.com has regarded him as a superb hitter for a while, and he's always been considered good at the plate. It's his calling card. Baseball Prospectus lauds him for his hitting. His defense is also good; his fielding percentage was perfect in 2010 with the Sox. If first base is blocked, however, can he take his game to DH? He hit .200 with the Sox in 2010, with a much better .326 OBP and an extremely weak .229 Slugging Percentage. He didn't have a homer, he had one double, no triples, and only 7 hits overall in his 18 games. He struck out 8 times, but walked 7 times, which led to the OBP being acceptable. I suppose that is not especially good production for a first baseman or an aspiring DH, but the walks are good. If there's one positive, that's it, because with Adrian's presence we can safely relegate him to DH and forget his fielding prowess.
A look at a few choice minor league number samples:
2007 GREENVILLE 124 GAMES 10 HOMERS 69 RBIS 71 WALKS 112 STRIKEOUTS .288 AVERAGE .385 OBP .443 SLUGGING PERCENTAGE
Shows the walks, the OBP, and both the average and SLG that were lacking in 2010 with the Sox.
2009 PORTLAND 119 GAMES 9 HOMERS 51 RBIS 51 WALKS 154 STRIKEOUTS .233 AVERAGE .328 OBP .345 SLUGGING PERCENGAGE
Back to the lacking. This line is missing the average, OBP, and Slugging Percentage. This is when he strikes out, doesn't walk, and loses power, patience, and production. He is notorious for struggling in this season, as I learned from Baseball Prospectus reading.
So he could probably survive at DH, but he hasn't shown enough power to replace that of David Ortiz. His only other path to regular time in the Majors, it appears, is a trade, a Papi departure, or, I suppose, and injury (a few books I have read or am reading ("Faithful" by Stephen King and Stewart O'Nan where I got this idea from) talk about injuries clearing paths to the majors; this isn't my idea, but I thought I should mention it).
What can you get for Lars Anderson is the next question. I suppose a solid reliever, a 4th outfielder, or someone that hasn't performed well enough to start and a team is looking to move. Probably two players of these types, and possibly a prospect instead. Players we could land, in my mind:
Luke Gregerson if we throw in another prospect
Geovany Soto, I guess...probably not, maybe a bad major leaguer would have to be added
Matt Capps if we throw in another prospect.
Players I've heard brought up on a live chat on mlbtraderumors.com, (A Ben Nicholson-Smith thought that Joel Hanrahan and Evan Meek might be asked for by Boston in exchange for Marco Scutaro, I give credit to the Nicholson-Smith and the person who asked the question for bringing these two players into my head as possibilities) Evan Meek and Joel Hanrahan, who seem to be returnable for Lars Anderson.
Ben Francisco and a Philly pitcher or minor-leaguer
Information sources include: ESPN.COM, SOXPROSPECTS.COM, "Faithful" by Stephen King and Stewart O'Nan, mlb.com
No comments:
Post a Comment