I'm absolutely thrilled that he's in a Boston uniform; the transaction is both overdue and absolutely necessary for the Red Sox lineup. Gonzalez can do practically anything he wants to in baseball. He can hit like the devil is after him. He can field like the devil is after him. He can run like the devil has given him the privilege not to go to hell; he is, after all, a first baseman. I can see him being a better first baseman in Fenway Park and at other ballparks than Kevin Youkilis was in the same position. I can guarentee that this San Diegan will hit much, much better than his Bostonian counterpart.
It's looking like a 40 homer campaign coming up for him, and in a miracle season, he'll hit 50. He is a one time Gold Glove winner and has hit fantastically at every step of his career. His season lines are magnificent. This quote from my previous Adrian Gonzalez post shows his 2010 lines: "In 2010, Gonzalez batted a superlative .298, backing that up with 31 homers and 101 RBIs, as well as sporting a .393 OBP and a .511 slugging percentage. He hit 33 doubles and had 176 hits, while drawing 93 walks and striking out 114 times. As another huge positive, Gonzalez collected a .995 fielding percentage in 2010 at first base, and won the Golden Glove there in 2009."
It seems like a dream that he's now officially a Red Sock; I can't describe how I'm even able to imagine it, but I am. Just wait, you loyal Red Sox fans. Watching this man hit in those long, April nights will send television ratings skyrocketing. This season is going to be fun.
Here is my personal theory about his extension: I am positive that Theo would not have traded three of his top 5 or 6 prospects to get a superstar for one year; that's Yankee material if it's even possible. Theo must have known he would get Adrian signed to an extension or he wouldn't have made the deal. The Red Sox, since completing this deal, are in a deep hole. To justify this trade, to get true value, they'll have to extend him. I think them not extending him defies natural law. Even if they have to pay outrageous amounts, and they are going to have to, they'll still get him, because if they don't you lose three future superstars for one current superstar. Basically, right now, they have to pay what they need to pay. The 8 years are not a problem, because when Papi retires and his DH spot is vacated, Gonzalez will be in line to replace any temporary solution there if he gets injured or loses his defense to age. That may not happen for 4 or 5 years, as the man is only 28 and played 160 games in 2010.
What We Lost: The Red Sox gave up Reymond Fuentes, an outfielder, Anthony Rizzo, a first baseman, and Casey Kelly, the Red Sox top prospect and stud pitcher. Here are scouting reports on all three, and out of them Fuentes and Kelly seem the best to me:
Reymond Fuentes
Casey Kelly
Anthony Rizzo
I compare Casey Kelly to Cliff Lee personally. He is going to be a hurler just like Lee at the Major League level in 2 years, and is going to be quite good. Rizzo is a slugger with good fielding prowess who projects very well to be a major leaguer in 2 to 4 years. Fuentes, long someone I've seen as a superstar candidate and liked from the scouting report above, is going to be a major contributor to the Padres or another team down the road, in 2-3 years.
Now for a breakdown, done by BSJ's own Sam Denomme (ratings done out of ten):
Hitting Ability
9
Fielding Ability
9
Leadership Ability
7
Running Ability
6
Other Ability
8
Five-Tool Scale
4 out of 5, he has power, contact, range, arm, and no speed.
Bro's notes: Something I'd heard mentioned in a different article on espn.com is that Gonzalez is consistent. That's a huge trait.
Gonzalez Links:
Gonzalez Highlights
Press Conference
Article on MLB.COM
Six Hit Game
Prospects Breakdown
Swing Example
Sources: nesn.com and espn.com and mlb.com
And Reymond is MUCH MUCH faster than Ellsbury or Crawford. No joke.
ReplyDelete