Saturday, November 27, 2010

The Even Numbers of Derek Jeter

The Even Numbers of Derek Jeter
As an inquisitive baseball fan, I often read Baseball Prospectus, which you could call the ultimate current-baseball encyclopedia.  It covers most of the players on a team’s major-league roster, with an edition for every year.  If you’re a bored baseball fan, this is the book to read.  It’s a valuable tool to know who all these players are and what their talents are, and it also makes for funny, interesting reading.  
More to the point, I’ve found a point.  I think it’s a very interesting point. It focuses mostly on the statistics of Derek Jeter.  These are his 2009 statistics, as listed in Baseball Prospectus 2010:



I know this doesn’t mean anything from a baseball perspective, but from an interesting points perspective, I think it is significant in that it is a great talking point. Notice how many of these 13 stats are even numbers and how many are odd.


Start with the plate appearances; 716 of them, an even number.  Then the runs, 107 of them, an odd number.  Then the doubles, 27, an odd number.  Then the triples, 1 of them, an odd number.  Then the homers, 18, an even number.  Then the RBIs, 66, an even number.  Then the walks, 72, an even number.  Then the strikeouts, 90, an even number.  Then the stolen bases, 30, an even number.  Then the caught-stealing total, 5, an odd number.  Then the batting average, .334, which is even.  Then there is the On-Base-Percentage, which is .406, another even number.  Then there is the Slugging Percentage, .465, an odd number.  Out of these 13 Derek Jeter statistics, 38% are odd and 62% are even.
pastedGraphic.pdf
Jeter Statistics; Percentages Even or Odd, Out of 13 Statistics
BLUE: EVEN JETER STATISTICS 
ORANGE: ODD JETER STATISTICS




I know this doesn’t mean anything from a baseball perspective, but from an interesting points perspective, I think it is significant in that it is a great talking point.  Just an interesting little point I saw.  I think I might do a study on this later in the year, see if it means anything.

Source: Baseball Prospectus 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cool Text: Logo and Graphics Generator