Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Is Boston really spoiled?

At school, I have been pestered by Giants fans who are ecstatic over their Super Bowl win. My response is that Brady has still won three rings. So what? The Giants won. Also, when Jason starts his pathetic, rambling, woefully inaccurate and completely irrational rants about the (8-8) Cowboys, I say Brady has three rings compared to Romo's 0. But that's getting old as well. Especially for poor Mr. Epstein who has to listen to Jason's rants at our help and work sessions. Back to the point; the Celtics won it all in 2007. The Red Sox won the World Series in 2004 and 2007. The Bruins just recently won the Stanely Cup in June, their first since 1972. Then there's the Patriots, winning Super Bowls in 2001, 2003, and 2004, before falling to the Giants in 2007 and then losing a few days ago to the very same Giants. That would accumulate to be 7 titles since the Patriots beat the Rams in 2001. I was only 4 when that win occurred, but I remember what I was doing that day; celebrating my grandfathers birthday. However, it seems as if when something great (sports wise) happens to Boston, there are very, very big consequences. Example- Bruins win the Stanley Cup in June. 4 months later? Red Sox go 7-20 in the most epic September collapse baseball has ever seen. Another 4 months after that, the Patriots lose to the Giants. Granted, the Patriots were lucky to be in the Super Bowl, in a way. If Billy Cundiff made that 32 yard field goal, who knew what would happen? Then again, same thing for the Giants; if Kyle Williams didn't muff a punt and fumble a kickoff return... Right. Anyway, my point is, for all the triumphs in Boston sports, there have been many gut wrenching defeats. Does anyone remember the agony when Aaron Boone launched a home run in game seven of the 2003 ALCS to propel the Yankees into the World Series? I sure do. How about 2007? Red Sox have arguably the best season in franchise history and win the World Series. The Celtics win their first NBA title in almost 20 years. Hooray! Oh wait. Anyone recall David Tyree? Or Plaxico Burress? Or the third year quarterback, Eli Manning? I think they ended the Patriots undefeated season in the 2007 Super Bowl. The last name, "Manning", is almost as rancid as the names, "Rodriguez, Jeter, Rivera" nowadays. The Celtics won it all in 2007. They were up 12 on the Lakers in game 7 of the 2010 NBA Finals. Choke-job. If you don't remember, the 2007 Bruins team was overshadowed by the Super Bowl loss. They lost in the playoffs to the Carolina Hurricanes. They lost in 7 games. Also, the 2010 Bruins were up 3-0 on the Flyers, much like the way the Yankees were up 3-0 on the Red Sox in 2004, and choked, losing the series 4-3. 2003 Yankees, 2007 Giants, 2012 Giants, 2010 Flyers, 2011 Red Sox, 2010 Celtics, 2007 Bruins. Hmm. I count seven awful, depressing, and infuriating defeats. That would match the 7 titles the team has won. Let's go back to Sunday now. The Giants beat the Patriots in a game that was eerily similar to the 2007 loss. Mario Manningham's catch was the David Tyree catch of 2012. Eli Manning drove 88 yards in the final three minutes, much like the way he did in 2007. In the end, the game was won by the Giants. Boston reacted to this terribly. There was a tremendous article on ESPN (http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/7553934/being-too-hard-patriots) titled, It's only a game. It used examples that were condescending towards Brady, his wife, Gisele, and overall the whole team. Tweets, other columnists writing how the Patriots shouldn't resign Welker, Brandon Jacobs telling Gisele to "Stay cute and shut up". First, that was not a good move by Jacobs. Second, that ball thrown to Welker was over his head, out of his stride, and back shoulder. I'm no football player, but even though Welker says he makes that catch 9/10 times, that was a tough throw. Articles bashing Brady, saying he choked. He didn't really choke. From the second quarter extending to the third quarter, Brady zipped in a record 16 straight completions. On the last drive, both Branch and Hernandez dropped passes. And? Down 4 with 57 seconds left in the Super Bowl. No one can explain how much pressure that is. I'll be the first to admit I was pretty damn frustrated at Mr. Hernandez and Mr. Branch, but both had great seasons. If that hail mary stayed in the air for one more second, the one-legged Gronkowski may have had a chance to catch it. In the end, the ball simply didn't roll the Patriots way. Too bad. Yes, this city is spoiled. Along with these terrible defeats, the city of Boston has witnessed historical and magical moments when it comes to our sports teams. I was pretty mad when they lost. It's worn off now, and I only get irritated when Jason or some other non-Patriots fan brings the recent Super Bowl loss up. I handled it pretty well; but clearly some fans didn't. So yes, this city is very much so spoiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cool Text: Logo and Graphics Generator